Thursday, July 8, 2010

Big Sister Shelby

At only 11 years old, Shelby Grace Wiggins is a better mother than most women with children of their own. Having her own childhood shortened in order to help 'tend' to her baby sister, Shelby has grown up quickly and has had to mature at a fast pace. I do not see this as a bad thing, mind you, as I know that this 'practice' will help mold her into a wonderful mommy for real one day.

These early life lessons in feeding, changing, bathing, dressing, etc. has somewhat aged my firstborn. There was a short span of time that she seemed to be getting a little resentful of the circumstances dealt her. But those feelings are gone now. She simply accepts her role as mini-mom and goes about the business that title holds with no argument at all.

For instance, this past Sunday I laid down on the couch. Michael was resting in his recliner and Brody was watching TV. I kinda sorta maybe fell asleep....but it was one of those sleeps where you can still hear what is going on around you. I suppose that Shelby must have seen that I was napping, and so she stepped in as mommy for about an hour, without thought, like it just came naturally to her. "Come on Bailey, let's go get a nap. I will lay with you." I could hear her talking to Bailey. Through my in and out state of sleep I heard Shelby in there talking so sweet to Bailey. Bailey LOVES music, so Shelby took her IPOD in there and let her listen. I could hear Shelby singing to her and clapping with her.

I remember thinking how blessed I am to have a daughter as special as Shelby. I thought of how Shelby always has Bailey's best interest at heart. Upon waking up, Shelby says, "Ok, I took her potty and she went. And I've already brushed her hair and teeth. So she's good to go."

What an amazing, compassionate, self motivated young lady she is. Because of her love for Bailey and willingness to be a help to her own mom, she went the extra mile. I cannot brag enough on her. God has been so good to me. I am so very thankful that I have Shelby, but I am more thankful that He has placed in her a sweet spirit and an unconditional love for her sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment