Tuesday, January 19, 2010



lets see....been trying to gather my thoughts and trigger my memory to post the next story in my timeline. 

At this point, we were seeing which ever doctor was on call at the time (of her hospitalization, that is)  Along came Dr. Tyler....and his series of monotonous questions.  When he finished, he asked, "And what are you doing about all of her delays?"  I am sure that my face was pale because I was thinking, "doing? we haven't done anything!"  I told him what her primary pediatrician had explained to us...which was not to worry and let her develop at her own pace.  Well, he surely didn't agree with that!  He immediately told me that he wanted her to see a neurologist and would set up that appointment for me. 

We went to the neurologist for a Video EEG....not easy as it sounds.  Bailey DOES NOT...do you hear me?  DOES NOT like for her head to messed with.  She fought tooth and nail while all of those jabillion electrodes were put on her head.  Then it was time to give her some sleepy medicine.  Yeah, right.  So much for that....apparently Miss Bailey has a high tolerance for medicine.  Lucky us!  After an hour and a half of trying to get her to not snatch every wire off her head and get her to sleep for more than 5 minutes at a time, we finally got her to remain calm enough to get all of the info the doctor needed.


Result?  Abnormal EEG, but not epilepsy.  He said she had PDD....Pervasive Developmental Disorder.  What in that world was that?  I didn't know, they surely didn't elaborate.  Just ever so nonchalant about it, like, "ok, your daughter isn't quite right.....bye-bye now"  No one offered to explain things to me, no one chose to help me  understand what to do for her. 

I do not remember how, but I was introduced to a lady who got me started in early intervention....which is where we will begin next time!

1 comment:

  1. hey Dottie,
    Just dropping a line letting you know that Bailey's story has been a blessing to me. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete