Friday, September 17, 2010

I remember the day well....

I was in my 32nd week of my 3rd pregnancy.  Shelby was nearly 3 years old, followed by a miscarriage in November of 2000.  I was set to have a C-Section on October 18, 2001.  It was August and so VERY hot.

My ankles we as big as my thighs.  My blood pressure was high all the time.  I knew that preeclampsia would set in sooner or later, just as it did with Shelby (who was delivered at 33 weeks, weighing 3lbs. 14oz.).

....Anyway, after trying hard to get my BP down (Michael was checking it on the hour), we decided that maybe I should just go on to the hospital.  We lived in a small town with a small hospital.  After getting to the hospital, my doctor informed me that I would need to deliver now....but that this hospital was not equipped to perform a C-Section on a 32 week baby.  So off I went via ambulance an hour and a half North to Birmingham, AL.

Family was called in, I was hooked up to all the monitors and given all the horrible meds to keep me from having a stroke...and steroids for the baby's lungs.  I was used to this, as I said before, because I experienced all of it with Shelby also.  I was prepared for the C-Section when the doctor came in and asked if I wanted to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean).  What?!  Really?!  I can do that?!

I was so excited because I really wanted to have that experience at least once.

So, i was induced and experienced labor for 22 hours!  What was I thinking???
I delivered Bailey at 11:35PM on August 31, 2001.  She weiged 4lbs 4oz.  And, as suspected, she was whisked away immediately to the NICU, only giving me a quick glimpse of her from a distance.

Bailey remained in the NICU for 24 days.  We drove 1 1/2 hours one way every day for those long 24 days to see her and feed her.  It was very hard to leave her at that hospital every day.  I should have known that this would only be the beginning of a life long journey.

We are so happy to have Bailey Dyan Wiggins in our family!  She is loved and adored by all of us!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment