Friday, September 17, 2010

BLAH!

That's right, BLAH!  That's all I have to say about it.  I don't even know what to think anymore.  Sometimes I feel so proactive, confident, and sure things will progress and then there are times when I just feel BLAH about the whole situation.

Bailey's first day of school was yesterday.  Last year she had three classmates.  Two with autism and one with downs.  We were the first to arrive.  I asked her new teacher if all the kids were returning this year.  Well, the two boys with autism were 'promoted', 'moved up'....they have PROGRESSED.  Bailey is the oldest one in the class, at only a week from being 9 years old. I wonder when she will move on, as she should be in 3rd grade.

Her body is aging, moving on, while her mind is at a stand still.  NO PROGRESS.  In fact, I cannot think of any progress she has made withing two years.  Do you hear me?  TWO YEARS....NO PROGRESS.  For those with only normal children it may be hard to understand the importance of this.  But we (the wiggins family) live with it each day.  Almost like that movie where the guy wakes up to the same day every morning....the same thing each day.

And it is not 'her fault', I do not blame her nor do I blame her teachers (they do their best), I guess I don't blame anyone....it just really stinks sometimes.

So what would I consider progress?  ANYTHING!  Maybe learning a new sign, initiatng the need to go potty, anything at this point.  Granted, some of her formal skills have improved: feeding herself, her ability to understand.  But nothing new.  Two whole years and no big "AHA" moment with her.

It just saddens me.  I have begun to research a little about MR (mental retardation) since that was how the school psycologist labeled her.  I will post a note about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment