Friday, September 17, 2010

ARD, IEP, & LENGTHY DISCUSSIONS....OH MY!!!!

So it's that time of the year again, oh yes...the dreaded ARD (admission, review, dismissal) meeting including IEP (individualized education plan).  OH JOY!

Basically we (principal, ot, slp, pt, teachers, psychologist, and myself) sit around a table and decide what "goals" need to be addressed this year.  Definately NOT the normal kid's goals.  Technically, Bailey should be in the 4th grade.  Instead, she is still at the Pre-K thru 1st grade campus in a class simply named "life skills".  The meeting will be a time to reassess, making sure she is still in need of this class.  At the end, I will receive a copy of the meeting, complete with reasons why she IS still in need:  Mental Retardation, Speech Impairment, Other Health Impairments......well lucky us!

Instead of wondering if she's keeping up with the class in reading comprehension, we strive just to stack blocks on top of one another and manipulate basic toys.  No learning of the three R's (so to speak)....we are just working on the basics.  Here's a few goals that we shot for last year:
*stand from the floor independently
*ascend curb without assistance
*point to herself in mirror
*remain dry, without accidents for 4 out of 7 days of the week

And here are few that she has "mastered":
*hold and examine offered object for at least one minute
*attach and maintian a mutual gaze with caregiver (bonding) for greater than 3 seconds
*grasp small object with thumb and index finger
*crawl forward alternating arm and legs
*assert emerging semi-independence in physical activities: mobility, self feeding, drinking from a cup
*respond by looking, moving, etc to sudden loud directed noise

And every year I get the little 6 weeks reports with the same 'grades'....Work In Progress

Where Brody has homework and is becoming quite fluent in reading and a master of math (age 6, 1st grade), his big sister Bailey is applauded if she has no potty accidents all day.

For me, the meeting will rehash how disabled and behind and different and vulnerable and dependent and alone and awkward and pitiful Bailey is.  It is simply a yearly confirmation of her state of mind and the fact that she will never live an independent life outside of my home.

Do I despise this?  Absolutely not!  As I've said many times before, I accept God's plan for Bailey's life....I really do.  But as a mama, I just REALLY REALLY REALLY want her to improve, learn, become independent, make her own choices, talk in complete sentences.  My wants and desires are REAL, they are STRONG, and I am fully aware that they may not be God's will for her.  Am I confusing you?  I hope not...although I do understand and completely trust in what God has in store for her, I am still flesh and only want the best for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment