Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Other than talking, there have been three major prayer requests concerning Bailey that we have longed to see answered: 1.  that she could be potty trained   2.  that she would sleep thru the night all alone in her room   3.  that she could feed herself using utensils.

We have prayed earnestly for these things to take place.   She will be nine in August and I am glad to say that progress is finally being made toward these major goals. 

First, potty training has been something that has seemed impossible at times.  And believe me, changing soiled pull ups or changing soiled panties on an 8 year old gets quite tiresome.  Well, thanks to the wonderful people who work with her every day at school, I think we nearly have this potty thing whooped!  They gave us a 'potty button'.  It is a button with a picture of a potty on it.  When she pushes the button, it says, "potty".  At first, we would tell her that she was going potty, then walk her over to the button and tell her to push it, sometimes even having to physically make her push it.  Then we would proceed to the bathroom.  Well, now when we ask her if she needs to go potty, she just walks right over to the button and pushes it on her own!  There have been a few times that she has walked over and pushed it without our initiation!  Amazing!  Just think, this is Bailey's way of communicating with us!  We may never hear our sweet girl tell us that she needs to go potty, but because of this button, she has a way of letting us know!  I am overjoyed at this milestone!  She generally stays dry now....if there is an accident, it is usually because of our neglect.

Next, the sleep issue has been a huge one in this household for nearly nine years now.  I really do not think there is any way of describing what it has been like for all of us.  I won't even try.  But ever since Shelby went to Florida for a visit, Bailey has been on her own at night.  I know for a fact that this is a direct answer to prayer and I thank God for it every morning when I wake up!  I know that there are many people who have been praying with us concerning this.  I certainly appreciate all of those prayers.  God has been so good to us...right when we (or at least I) was to the point that I knew she would have to always be sleeping with someone, He passes by at the right time!  Praise the Lord.  Anyway, every night now she kisses her daddy good-night.  I walk her to her room and help her lift her leg onto the bed, then she uses my body to push against, getting the rest of her body on the bed.  She then fumbles around and gets up to the pillow.  She lays down so sweetly and brings her little hand right up to her face with her blanket in tow.  Precious.  She doesn't move or even make a sound when I tell her good-night and I turn off her light and walk out.  She sleeps all night long.  Honestly, when I just sit and think about it, I weep.  To think that there were so many sleepless nights, no many frustrating moments......yet God has delivered my daughter from her sleeplessness and has finally given her rest!

Also, we are making great progress with her feeding herself.  We aren't all the way there yet, but she's doing much better.  I know that in time, she will be able to sit and eat a meal completely by herself with no help at all.  I know that God can do that for her!
So much to be thankful for.  Nothing to be taken lightly or taken for granted.  I find my heart is full of gratitude for what my Lord has and is doing in the life of my challenged daughter!




1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine. Josiah was totally sleepless for about 6 months. He would get up every hour or two and usually cry in between. Just with that little bit I thought I was going to lose any scrap of sanity I thought that I might have had. Nine years of it...even worse than Josiah's sleeplessness? I bet you do come to tears of joy when you think about it!

    It was a blessing to read this post! ;-)

    ReplyDelete